Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Look and how I got the name "Chopsticks"

One of the most important skills to have when going out without a group (A.K.A. by yourself [as I so often do]) is the ability to give the look. What is the look? It is the glance that you give to a complete stranger at a club to let them know you need rescuing. Many a time I have been dancing at Hometown Dance Club and found myself essentially stuck dancing with someone who I do not want to dance with, let alone talk to, it is times like these where having the look perfected is paramount.

There are many looks; there’s the “you’re cute, let’s dance” flirty look, the “sexy eyes” (I’d like to get physical with you) look, the “you’re a good dancer” (care to dance with me?) look, the “you’re a good dancer” (it’s fun watching you do your thing) look, the “you look like someone nice” (lets talk outside) look, the “you don’t have a prayer” (forget about it) look, “the leave me the fuck alone” look, the “I will hurt you if you don’t leave me the fuck alone” (consider this a warning) look, the “I’m sorry I’m stuck over here” (sincerely apologetic) look, the “I’m sorry, I’m stuck over here” (I am glad I am not over there) look, the shocked “oh, you’re here” (sometimes pleasantly surprised and sometimes quite annoyed) look, and many other looks… however the most important look to have in your “look” repertoire is, hands down, the look. When done correctly the look can be given to anyone, friend, acquaintance, stranger, ex, etc., and they will understand, and they will help you, as instantly as is possible. The look is also reciprocal, if you receive it, better step in, it is only fair after all, others are expected to save you when you give it, and thus you have to be willing to save them when they give it. It is an unspoken well known Dance Club rule

It only took me one night of pulling the “I have to go to the bathroom” and then sneaking out (after using the bathroom) trick before I had the look perfected. It took me about 3 more nights to figure out how to judge who to give the look to, to avoid having to employ it again within 20 minutes (or seconds).

I got the name “Chopsticks” by using the look. Halfway through an evening (night) at Hometown Dance Cub I had accumulated a rather large number of guys that wished to keep dancing with me; I had no desire to dance (or talk, or be in any way associated with) with any of them. While 3-5 of them were arguing over whose dance partner I was, I gave the room a quick scan and selected my newest target for the look – he responded quickly and effectively. We danced until Hometown Dance Club closed and as I was enjoying his company, I accepted his offer to go to his friend + friend’s BF’s house (it was also close to my house which didn’t hurt). Once there the four of us shared some champagne and the boy who I had accompanied and I were left alone downstairs. We talked for several hours before falling asleep on the couch. The next morning I woke up, left, and walked home.

At several points during the night I asked him if he knew my name… he never answered correctly (by “correctly” I mean with an affirmative and with my name) this never really bothered me, but it embarrassed him. The entire time we were at Hometown dance club he had called me “Chopsticks” because I had my hair up in a bun with chopsticks holding it up.

I have run into him several times since. I never feel awkward with our fun sarcastic little exchanges, so we chat for a bit… and then I ask him if he knows my name… and he gets defensive and embarrassed, he can never remember it. He is the only person in real life who calls me “Chopsticks”; however I wear chopsticks in my hair frequently, and think the name (and the style) is kind of cute. So I took it and made it my own. Now you know the story behind the name of my blog.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) i like that story... i don't think i have ever given the look to a stranger though, only to friends

Avitable said...

That's a great story. I wish I had a story like that, but if my blog was named "The Streaking Bear Man", I think I'd have a whole different audience.

Sarah said...

I like the look too, but I'm hesitant to wear it much because I'm blonde and *so not* Asian.

Giving the look to strangers, that takes guts!

Unknown said...

Chopsticks.

Cute.

-Wombat

Anonymous said...

Love it. Love the looks. All of them.

I'm going to David Copperfield tonight. I plan on giving him a look. The one that says, "take me home and love me forever."

Eugene Salomon said...

Hi, Chopsticks - thanks for adding me to your roll. I like your blog, too - I'm bookmarking you and looking forward to following you and your cast of characters. :)

The Cast

These are the people who will be making re-occurring appearances in my blog. The cast may grow, shrink, or simply change with time. This is meant merely as a quick reference sheet to some of the players both for me, and for you.

Family

Mom Sarcastic, witty, caring, sometimes we drive each other crazy. I wouldn't trade her for anything (yes mom, I know you read this - I would write it regardless).
Dad Caring, artistic, musical, annoys me by pretending to know things he doesn't or by not knowing the things I want him to know. I wouldn't trade him for anything either (he doesn't read this…as far as I know).
LB = Little Brother Smart but lazy, my 18 year old brother spends most of his time in his room. He just started university (it was either that or get a job).

Females

FF = Forum Friend Although we have only met twice in real life, I love this girl. She is sarcastic, smart, fun, caring, and very picky about her coffee. She’s had a bit more life experience than I, so she’s a good one to talk to when I need advice.
SLN = Same Last Name A girl I knew in high school, then met again at university, then met again back in Hometown who has the same last name as I do. She is talkative, superficial, and occasionally artistic. She is a rather bad friend, but if you need someone to drink with you can call her (just don’t expect her to show up when or where you planned on).
PIPF = Pseudo-Intellectual Pseudo-Feminist A girl I knew in high school and re-met in Hometown. She is exactly like the pseudonym – a pseudo-intellectual pseudo-feminist. She takes great joy in being a bitch and in trying to be “unique” (although she sees it as being unique rather than as trying).
HSM = High School Mom A girl (younger than me) who I knew in high school. I re-met her back in Hometown. She has a kid and an ex-husband. Not too smart, but sweet, she likes to party and recently turned 21.

Males

XFL = Ex-First-Love The boy I spent ages (late) 15 - (early) 21 with. We lived together and loved each other for more than 5 years. I still miss him, but as a best friend rather than a lover at this point. He is incredibly smart.
XFLXRM = Ex-First-Love’s Ex-Roommate My ex’s old roommate/best friend. He is a sadistic narcissistic asshole, and he knows it. He is also incredibly smart. We still chat from time to time.
XFLHTF = Ex-First-Love’s Home-Town Friend My ex’s other (earlier) roommate’s ex-boyfriend, lives in Hometown. I first met him when the ex and I first started dating, and recently re-met him. He is full of energy, and quite smart. There is nothing at all romantic between us and that feeling is mutual (for once) which is nice.
JFPB = Just Friends Poetry Boy I met this boy in poetry class in university. I have known him for about 3 years. He has the potential to be smart, but he is too much of a stoner to ever utilize it. He is also creepily obsessed with me.
JFSB = Just Friends Short Boy This boy went to the same high school that I went to… at a different time. He is nearly a foot shorter than I am. He knew my little brother before he knew me. He is sweet and loyal, and we will never be anything more than friends although I suspect that is what he hopes for.
XMJF = Ex-Military Just Friends Boy A nice guy to have coffee with. He is smart and we hold diametrically opposed views on just about everything so he is a good person to debate things with. He would like a more-than-friends status but knows it will not happen and accepts that.
XMNTBB = Ex-Military Not-too-bright Boy Not too nice, not too smart. He showers attention on girls unless they pay attention to him. Has dated many girls in Hometown, we are all known as “alcoholic slutty crazy bitches” to him now.
NTBRBB = Not-too-bright Re-bound Boy Sweet (until I broke up with him), not very smart, and very in to material possessions.
RBNB = Rich Bad News Boy I met him through his writing on his blog. He is a narcissistic asshole. He is also friends with SBNB and NTBRBB.
SBNB = Smart Bad News Boy I met him through his blog and through RBNB. We kind of had a thing – for a little bit. He is very smart and quite sexy. He also plays a ton of games and turns most situations around so that he is the “victim” which is his favorite and often-played role.