Friday, January 19, 2007

Shy Boy

A while ago I went to a party at PIPF’s house. This party consisted mostly of drinking and live music (drums and keyboard) and talking to many people who I had not seen since middle school (and who I seriously doubt are old enough to be legally drinking).

At some point during the evening I got tired of standing in my heels and decided to sit in the only available spot on the couch. I ended up smooshed between PIPF’s roommate and a boy I will call “Shy Boy”. I was a bit tipsy and a bit bored so I started talking to Shy Boy. I found out that he is 20, a junior at Hometown University, and was the DD for a bunch of his friends who are there. He was also kind of cute so when he asked for my number I gave it to him.

PIPF was annoyed with me when he left saying I couldn’t just do that to boys. Pfft, I didn’t do anything, or so I thought. She said he was wrapped around my little finger.

He called me the next day, I answered, he said he had enjoyed talking to me and that we should do something. I agreed to make plans and he said he’d call later that week when I wasn’t at work (this was all rather awkward as I was in a male co-worker’s car and we were driving back to my car after having just had dinner together). Shy Boy called the next day while I was working – I didn’t answer my phone, so he left a message saying he’d call again later. The next day he called as I was scraping my windshield (with a credit card – I am always so prepared) after work. I answered and we arranged to go ice-skating on Thursday at 9pm.

Thursday comes around; I get off of work and am again scraping the ice off of my windshield when Shy Boy calls, he informs me that he has hurt his leg so we should go to a movie insteadof ice-skating. I tell him to choose a movie and that I will call him when I get home. I call him, he tells me he wants to see the new Bond movie and we arrange to meet at the theatre.

We meet (he was 20 minutes late), he pays, and we go in and sit down. He says a total of about 5 words to me in the half-hour before the movie starts. We watch the movie (I found it entertaining, he did not) and we determine that we are both walking the same direction (he to his car me to my house) During the 5 block walk I get him to tell me he is going home for the holidays, and he says he will call me when he gets back. I wish him Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and figure that is that. I got to see a rather enjoyable movie for free, and I determined that he and I have nothing to talk about.

School has been back in session for about 10 days. Shy Boy has called me 5 of those 10 days… I finally called him back this afternoon because he invited me to a "game night" which sounded fun; I thought maybe a second chance was in order. He called again while I was out seeing ‘Children of Men’ (by myself) my phone was off so he left a message. He is going to a Basketball game “with the boys” he wants me to call him or stop by around 9 or 10. I give up. Conversations with Shy Boy are like pulling teeth, and I am tired of plans changing all the time. I am not calling him back, and I am definitely not “stopping by” his place later tonight.

5 comments:

Avitable said...

The socially inept always need more effort. Sometimes they're worth it. Sometimes they're serial killers.

Chopsticks said...

Sometimes they are serial killers who use boredom as their murder weapon.

Avitable said...

Excellent point.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hate when you just can't make a conversation "happen" with someone, especially if you know that if you stop talking and stop trying, it will then be silent until something short of a natural disaster occurs. I don't blame you if you don't want to see him again!

Chopsticks said...

I think that he would be silent even if a natural disaster did occur. I doubt I will be seeing him again.

The Cast

These are the people who will be making re-occurring appearances in my blog. The cast may grow, shrink, or simply change with time. This is meant merely as a quick reference sheet to some of the players both for me, and for you.

Family

Mom Sarcastic, witty, caring, sometimes we drive each other crazy. I wouldn't trade her for anything (yes mom, I know you read this - I would write it regardless).
Dad Caring, artistic, musical, annoys me by pretending to know things he doesn't or by not knowing the things I want him to know. I wouldn't trade him for anything either (he doesn't read this…as far as I know).
LB = Little Brother Smart but lazy, my 18 year old brother spends most of his time in his room. He just started university (it was either that or get a job).

Females

FF = Forum Friend Although we have only met twice in real life, I love this girl. She is sarcastic, smart, fun, caring, and very picky about her coffee. She’s had a bit more life experience than I, so she’s a good one to talk to when I need advice.
SLN = Same Last Name A girl I knew in high school, then met again at university, then met again back in Hometown who has the same last name as I do. She is talkative, superficial, and occasionally artistic. She is a rather bad friend, but if you need someone to drink with you can call her (just don’t expect her to show up when or where you planned on).
PIPF = Pseudo-Intellectual Pseudo-Feminist A girl I knew in high school and re-met in Hometown. She is exactly like the pseudonym – a pseudo-intellectual pseudo-feminist. She takes great joy in being a bitch and in trying to be “unique” (although she sees it as being unique rather than as trying).
HSM = High School Mom A girl (younger than me) who I knew in high school. I re-met her back in Hometown. She has a kid and an ex-husband. Not too smart, but sweet, she likes to party and recently turned 21.

Males

XFL = Ex-First-Love The boy I spent ages (late) 15 - (early) 21 with. We lived together and loved each other for more than 5 years. I still miss him, but as a best friend rather than a lover at this point. He is incredibly smart.
XFLXRM = Ex-First-Love’s Ex-Roommate My ex’s old roommate/best friend. He is a sadistic narcissistic asshole, and he knows it. He is also incredibly smart. We still chat from time to time.
XFLHTF = Ex-First-Love’s Home-Town Friend My ex’s other (earlier) roommate’s ex-boyfriend, lives in Hometown. I first met him when the ex and I first started dating, and recently re-met him. He is full of energy, and quite smart. There is nothing at all romantic between us and that feeling is mutual (for once) which is nice.
JFPB = Just Friends Poetry Boy I met this boy in poetry class in university. I have known him for about 3 years. He has the potential to be smart, but he is too much of a stoner to ever utilize it. He is also creepily obsessed with me.
JFSB = Just Friends Short Boy This boy went to the same high school that I went to… at a different time. He is nearly a foot shorter than I am. He knew my little brother before he knew me. He is sweet and loyal, and we will never be anything more than friends although I suspect that is what he hopes for.
XMJF = Ex-Military Just Friends Boy A nice guy to have coffee with. He is smart and we hold diametrically opposed views on just about everything so he is a good person to debate things with. He would like a more-than-friends status but knows it will not happen and accepts that.
XMNTBB = Ex-Military Not-too-bright Boy Not too nice, not too smart. He showers attention on girls unless they pay attention to him. Has dated many girls in Hometown, we are all known as “alcoholic slutty crazy bitches” to him now.
NTBRBB = Not-too-bright Re-bound Boy Sweet (until I broke up with him), not very smart, and very in to material possessions.
RBNB = Rich Bad News Boy I met him through his writing on his blog. He is a narcissistic asshole. He is also friends with SBNB and NTBRBB.
SBNB = Smart Bad News Boy I met him through his blog and through RBNB. We kind of had a thing – for a little bit. He is very smart and quite sexy. He also plays a ton of games and turns most situations around so that he is the “victim” which is his favorite and often-played role.